Lunar Roundup: Rover Action Reel
This week, in the Google Lunar XPRIZE...
Rover action galore, as the robots tackled caves, NASA test beds, and redesigns!:
In one of the coolest rover action videos yet, Part Time Scientists' rover tackled an actual cave (and other Alpine mountainscapes):
Meanwhile, Astrobotic 's Polaris took to NASA's Glenn center to show some rocks who's boss, and show off other amazing tech capabilities:
Team Plan B went to, well, 'plan B' on some of the features for their unique rover, walking us through the redesign:
Full Time Presentation
Part Time Scientists also gave one of the better presentations yet, a colloquial and engaging chat about their mission and the Google Lunar XPRIZE:
And showing off even more tech was Italia , with this Italian-language (but render-filled) presentation on their technology:
Astrobotic did an in-depth Google Hangout:
Barcelona Moon visited a cool antenna facility in Chile (complete with awesome music; Spanish-language):
Why the Moon?
And Moon Express shared their set of motivations for why they're going back to the Moon:
The One that Got Away
And in a bonus bit of fun, a graphic designer shared a rover concept that was pitched (in 2008), but didn't actually make it into the Google Lunar XPRIZE (a team that didn't materialize). What could have been:
- Mike Vergalla of Moon Express took his GoPro camera to the 2013 Team Summit in Chile, resulting in an awesome compilation video! Pool shots, team meetups, slightly NSFW male polynesian dancers, and more!
- Stellar blogged about the details of video encoding for the Moon!
- SpaceIL met Buzz Aldrin!
- Euroluna posted a video about their lunar approach! A nice outdoor demonstration :)
- Puli barked their way into the Bay Area to increase their U.S. presence!
- An Angelicvm team member had their research on detecting alien life featured by a big newspaper!
I’ll be rounding these up every week, so keep an eye here for the best developments from our very own moon race.
And if you have any favorite stories from the week that didn’t make it in here---share them below!
[May 6-13th, 2013.]